“When he got out of the hospital, that’s when it got worse, when his head was burning,” his wife Janice said. “He said it felt like he had hot poison going through his veins. It felt so awful from the inside.”
Soon after, the Mazellas had an office visit with Dr. Beals for the first time in 10 years. According to Janice, Dr. Beals was furious that they had gone to the hospital and “exposed his treatment,” and told them to leave, refusing to continue to treat his never before seen patient. Days later Janice got out of the shower and found her husband’s body in the garage. He had committed suicide.
In the medical malpractice action that followed, a NY jury this month found Beals negligent in his treatment and liable for causing Mazella’s suicide, awarding Janice and their three children $1.5 million.
basketball, Medical Malpractice, Dr. William Beals, Dr. Beals, physician, suicide